Jancare nurses do everything they can to make sure that their patients are happy and healthy. We’re located in Fishkill, NY, but we make sure we visit our clients in their own homes in order to keep them as comfortable as possible. There’s nothing more important than the health of a loved one and no one understands that better than us!
Outside of nursing, there are also some things that you can do on your own to improve your health. Self-care is extremely important and everyone needs to do it in order to improve their lifestyle, including seniors. This is something that was recognized by publication Parent Giving, which wrote a fantastic article called “10 Essential Health Tips For Seniors”. We love this post and picked out five of our favorite tips below. If you find them interesting, we recommend reading the original article they came from by clicking here.
- Quit smoking. Take this critical step to improve your health and combat aging. Smoking kills by causing cancer, strokes and heart failure. Smoking leads to erectile dysfunction in men due to atherosclerosis and to excessive wrinkling by attacking skin elasticity. Many resources are available to help you quit.
- Keep active. Do something to keep fit. Physical activity helps you stay at a healthy weight, prevent or control illness, sleep better, reduce stress, avoid falls and look and feel better, too.
- Eat well. Combined with physical activity, eating nutritious foods in the right amounts can help keep you healthy. Many illnesses, such as heart disease, obesity, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and osteoporosis, can be prevented or controlled with dietary changes and exercise. Calcium and vitamin D supplements can help women prevent osteoporosis.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Extra weight increases your risk for heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure. Use the Kaiser Permanente BMI (body mass index) calculator to find out what you should weigh for your height. Get to your healthy weight and stay there by eating right and keeping active. Replace sugary drinks with water, which is calorie free!
- Prevent falls. We become vulnerable to falls as we age. Prevent falls and injury by removing loose carpet or throw rugs. Keep paths clear of electrical cords and clutter, and use night-lights in hallways and bathrooms. Did you know that people who walk barefoot fall more frequently? Wear shoes with good support to reduce the risk of falling.
If you enjoyed this post, please consider liking us on Facebook! Facebook is the easiest way to stay up-to-date with Jancare, as we’re constantly sharing what we’re writing about on that platform. If you’ve used our home care services in the past, consider writing us a review on Google! It’s the easiest way to spread the word about what we do, which will help us find more seniors in need.