Happy holidays from everyone at Jancare! This is a great time of year for seniors to spend quality time with their families. We help make this happen by bringing our nursing services directly to our clients in the comfort of their own homes, ensuring they’re always surrounded by the people that love them during this holiday season!
What are the best things to do around the holidays? A great publication called Family Matters recently wrote about seven fun holiday activities that seniors can do around this time of year. We’ve picked out five of our favorites below, but if you would like to learn more, you can read the whole article by clicking here.
- Get out to see Holiday lights
- Take your senior loved one for a drive to see Christmas lights. It’s a great way to get them out of the house, and if they no longer drive, it might be their only opportunity to enjoy the colorful displays around town. Search for holiday light exhibits in your local community such as the drive through “Fantasy of Lights” right here in Los Gatos.
- Reminisce about past
- As a family, look through old photo albums, listen to classic holiday tunes, and encourage your loved one to tell stories from the past. Sharing memories can be moving and engaging for seniors and its great way to pass down family stories and holiday traditions to younger generations.
- Make a gingerbread house
- Decorating a gingerbread house is a creative (and delicious!) activity that everyone can enjoy. Invite children in the family to decorate alongside your senior loved one so they can spend quality time together. Gingerbread house kits are available almost everywhere this time of year, or you can even build your own by pasting graham crackers together with icing.
- Put up decorations
- Invite your senior loved one to join while your family decorates the Christmas tree. If their mobility is limited, they can still participate by helping unwrap ornaments with the kids. Or, if your loved one lives on their own but no longer has the ability to decorate, get the family together and bring a tree and decorations over to their house.
- Prepare holiday meals together
- Seniors often enjoy feeling useful and needed, so let your loved one participate in the holiday meal preparation. Even if they aren’t able to move swiftly around the kitchen, they can help with smaller tasks like peeling vegetables, folding napkins, and arranging the table.
Our favorite activity is reminiscing about the past! Pulling out something like an old photo album is one of the most simple things you can do, but it can also be incredibly powerful. Remembering the good times you have had with your family is a great way to remember how much you love them. Plus, it’s a fantastic way to share your past with someone not familiar with it, like someone young in the family.
If you enjoyed this post, please consider liking us on Facebook! Facebook is the easiest way to stay up-to-date with Jancare, as we’re constantly sharing what we’re writing about on that platform.
Are you a client of ours that has yet to write a review? If so, please consider writing one to let people know about our nursing services! You can write user reviews on Google by clicking here. Let’s get the word out about Jancare and continue to help those in need!